Friday, September 5, 2008

Weberisms

You may be asking: "What is a Weberism?" I will define it as a word (or phase) that is used in place of the correct word. When the incorrect word is used the Broz women continue on in conversation without correcting the word as if the word was not wrong. All along the Broz women know what is meant and the conversation continues uninterrupted.

A great example of a Weberism: While attending a party a women spoke about opening a hot dog stand and calling it "Dogs on the Run." Then a few months later Allison is trying to recall the name of the hot dog stand in a conversation referred to it as "Wieners on the fly." At this all the Broz women know what is meant and the conversation continues without incident.

At times this can drive Brian crazy, but I love the Weberisms. They always make me smile because it reminds me that I am part of a family and we have our own way of communicating. Brian is getting there, it has taken him 7+ years but he is starting to be able to continue on in conversation with out needing to correct me, it is great!

The name Weberism is after my Mom's side of the family because that is where we get it from. It makes me wonder if it is hereditary or a learned speech pattern. How many generations back does it go? I am curious to know if my children will talk this way, like me or not.  Time will tell...

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I really don't plan to comment on every blog entry but had to tell you that 'Dogs on the Run'
--> 'Weiners on the Fly' cracked me up! In all my studies to become a Speech Therapist, I never came across a genetic etiology for "weberisms" =)