Wednesday, November 16, 2011

More Randomness

1. It has been so warm here, in the high 60s. Our apartment is up high and has lots of windows so it is staying in the 70s without any heat.  Often I have to open the windows to cool it off.  The other day I was braiding Luna's hair, which always makes me sweat and I had to turn the AC on!  Mid-November and I had to turn on the AC (as soon as I was done braiding I turned it off).  Here is Luna's hair style for the week.

2.  I am still doing my boot camp which I love!  It is in my top 3 things I love about NYC.  It is really the best and such a good work out.  When I am walking back to the apartment at 6:30am I feel like I have already accomplished so much and everyone else is still sleeping.  So far all the workouts have been outside, if it rains we go to a covered pedestrian overpass, the people driving to work get a little workout video on their way :)

3.  Next week we have our first relatives visiting us! Brian's Dad and wife are coming for a week.  I am so excited to show them our life here in NY.    They are adventurous and want to attempt the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade.  I have been reading up on it and it is crazy you have to be there by 6:30am to get a spot along the parade route.  The actual parade does not start until 9am.  I am a little worried about how the kiddos will do, bathrooms are a whole other issue.

4. Safety- I have a lot of people ask me about safety.  If I ever am worried for my safety, etc.  The area we live in is very residential and there are lots of families.  By lots of families I mean LOTS of families.  So it is safe, people look out for each other.   When I go to other parts of the city, I have to be much more street smart.  But in our neighborhood my biggest safety issues are keeping the girls away/aware of traffic, elevator safety, and scooter/stroller safety.  Otherwise we are good to go.

5.  We joined a community center that is about a block from our apartment (everything is about a block).  It is a wonderful facility.  They offer all types of kid classes: tumbling, Spanish, French and music.  They also have a couple of indoor play spaces for the kids, which will be critical in the winter months.  But the best part of the community center is the indoor pool!  Last week we swam three days in a row!  Luna is finally getting independent enough in the pool that at the end of it she is exhausted.  One day we swam for 2 hours!  Luna came home and took a nap and had no problem going to sleep that night!  That is unheard of in our house, normally if she naps during the day she takes forever to fall sleep.

6. Yesterday I got a Brazilian blowout.  I have always wanted to try one and saw one on Groupon for super cheap so I decided to go for it.  The only thing I was not prepared for is that I can not get my hair wet, wash it or put anything (clip, ponytail holder, hat) for 3 days!  Of course it poured rain today.  By Friday it is going to look pretty bad.  So far it is stick straight, we will see how long it lasts :)

7.  I am still loving NYC.  I think I love it the most out of everyone in our family.  Just love it, just wish it was not so far from the West Coast :)




No comments: