Luna has been asking for long straight hair. Which is challenging when you have curly curly hair. So I have been talking to her about yarn extensions and getting her ready for the time commitment that comes with them (also getting me ready).
This past Friday we started the process. We washed and took out her old style. Then slept on it for the night. On Saturday we started cornrowing with the yarn. In the past, I did twists instead of braids but had a hard time doing them cleanly, so this time I stuck with the braids. I am a much better braider than twister, I just need to embrace this reality. Luna also requested pink yarn, I did not want to do her whole head pink so instead we braided a few strands just to give it some pink. We put in 4.5 hours on Saturday and then called it a day. She was a trooper and sat so nicely for me. But by the end she was wiggly and my hands were cramping. We took Sunday (Mother's Day) off and started back up on Monday. We put in another 4 hours of braiding. She had a harder time sitting still and my hands were struggling. But we finished just in time for school on Monday.
Luna LOVES her long hair. She can barely keep her hands out of it and is constantly flipping it around, makes all the work so worth it. It makes me so happy to see her loving her hair so much. When she gets a compliment on it, she says "thank you" and then proudly does a little flip. It is adorable. We are working on teaching her how to care for her hair and the things she should or should not do. For example, do not use your yarn extensions to wipe ice cream from your face :) Do put it up at night to help take the pressure off your scalp, etc. It is a learning process for everyone in the family.
You can see the pink yarn in this photo. I kept it mostly to the back but it is still bold, both her and I adore the pink. It took her friends at school a little while to warm up to it. They kept asking her why her hair was pink, it was pretty funny. Tonight she told me next time she wants to try yellow (we will see). Brian and I are heading out of town without kids! My Mom is staying with the girls so I wanted something that would keep her hair protected, would last the whole time we were gone and would be minimal work for my Mom. I think this hair style fits it all! Luna wants to leave them in until we go to Washington in July. I don't think they will last that long though, my goal is 4 weeks! I really hope we make it.
1 comment:
cutie patootie!!! Great job Allison! Pink braided in is sooo Luna =)
Enjoy your week in Jamaica.
Have fun with the girls Jan!
Post a Comment