Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Tree is Decorated


We decorated the tree this past Friday.  We all had fun but Rachel loved it.  We left all of our ornaments in Washington so that required me to be creative on how we were going to decorate the tree.  I decided to try to make ornaments with the kids, I think I set the expectations a little high at times, I forget they are only 2 & 3 years old.  The tree is also tiny that meant we only needed a few ornaments.  We bought some silver balls and some candy canes.  So all we needed to make were a few ornaments.

I decided to start with bells.  All it required was an egg carton,  aluminum foil and some ribbon. Luna really tried hard to get her foil on the egg carton but had a hard time. In the end, the part the girls were able to help with was putting the stickers on.  Luckily, Gramma had sent some sparkly princess stickers that looked just great next to the shiny foil.   Rachel probably spent 30 minutes on one bell, she is detail oriented.  In the end I think they turned out pretty cute considering how simple they were.

Next we painted some wood ornaments that Rachel had picked out with me.   She picked a reindeer for herself and a penguin for Luna.  The girls had fun painting although they did not stick with Christmas colors, instead they went for pink, blue and purple.  They did great and they loved putting the ornaments on the tree.

Finally, I cut out some cardboard stars for the girls to decorate.  I thought they may put stickers on them or even paint them.  But the girls love to glue, but once I took out the wrapping paper they were all into gluing.  So they glued wrapping paper all over the stars and then used markers.  Again I think Rachel finished one in the time it took Luna to do 4.  Such different little personalities.  Both were very proud of their creations.


Finally we got to decorating and I think my prediction was pretty close.  Instead of 5 minutes it maybe took 10.  But the girls had fun and we enjoyed watching them.  Since all the ornaments were kid friendly I don't think I once had to say be careful. :)

Posted by Picasa

No comments: