Thursday, June 16, 2011

Random Tidbits

Here are some random events and thoughts.

1.  Luna is going to summer camp in 2 weeks.  To attend, she has to have a completed medical form signed by a doctor.  So I found a local pediatric office (few blocks away) and read some reviews online.  I called to make an appointment and they told me the first step is to come in for an informational meeting to see if the practice is a good fit for my family.  What?!?

2. My least favorite part of NYC is grocery shopping.  I have not figured out the best or even reasonably good way to do it yet.  Even though the Whole Foods delivers it still requires me to shop for the groceries and this just does not work with two kids.  Only one can sit in the cart and the other has to follow.  This would be fine but the store is crazy busy all the time and the walkways/aisles are small (space is at a premium in NY).   The whole time I am saying "watch out Luna," or "move over Luna,"  or "catch up Luna." So it is never fun to take both kids.  I typically enjoy grocery shopping but I like to focus on what I am doing, which is hard with one small child out of the cart and talking a mile a minute to anyone walking by.  The women down the hall recommended Fresh Direct, I think I am going to have to try it.

3. We found out from our neighbors you don't have to tip the doorman/porters in the building for each service.  Which I love the porters.  When you pull up in your car after a long vacation or major shopping trip, they get a luggage cart, help you unload your car, bring it up to your apartment, put all the items into your apartment and then bring the cart downstairs.  I cannot tell you how much I love this service.  Instead of daily tips, for Christmas you give them a nice gift.  Can't wait for Christmas to show them how much I love what they do.

4. Today we had our first guest over for dinner, I enjoy entertaining.  Although since I have been here I have set the smoke detector off twice while cooking, today being one of those days.  It is always when I am cooking a big piece of meat (whole chicken or roast).  I have the stove vent on the whole time but I don't think it does much.

5.  Tomorrow I am interviewing a potential evening babysitter for the girls.  I have never actually done this.  We were very blessed in Washington to have family (mostly Grandma) around to babysit for us/me whenever we needed.  So the whole interviewing and checking references it something new.  But in NYC babysitters/nannies are so commonplace it is crazy.  Here is an example, our neighbor, she has a day nanny, a weekend nanny and an occasional evening babysitter!  She had many people to recommend me :)  If all goes well, Brian and I should have our first date night here soon!  Can't wait to do some grownup things in the city, especially with our 10 year anniversary just a couple weeks away.

No comments: